Rumely started in 1853 in La Porte, Indiana manufacturing threshers and later moved on to steam engines. The first internal combustion tractor at the company was the OilPull, launched in 1910, with an oil-cooled engine. A 1911 merger with the Advance Thresher Company changed the name to Advance-Rumely. In the late 1920s, Advance-Rumely attempted to enter the market for smaller tractors with the DoAll and the 6A, but had difficulty. Allis-Chalmers purchased Advance-Rumely in 1931 and stopped production of all models.