The Allis-Chalmers Company was formed in Milwuakee, Wisconsin, in 1901 by the merger of the Edward P. Allis Company, Fraser and Chalmers Company, Gates Iron Works, and Dickson Manufacturing Company. Allis-Chalmers was an industrial conglomerate, manufacturing farm, mining, and industrial equipment. Financial difficulties led to dissolution in 1985. The farm equipment operations were sold to Klockner-Humboldt-Deutz of Germany. Tractor production continued under the Deutz-Allis name until 1989, when management purchased the company to form AGCO.