The brothers Cyrus and Robert Avery founded the Avery company in 1874 building cultivators and planters (note that Avery should not be confused with B.F. Avery & Sons). By 1891 the company had located to Peoria, Illinois, and begun building stream tractors. Avery first entered the tractor market with the Farm & City in 1909, which looked more like a truck. Avery introduced a line of tractors but fell into trouble during the Depression. The company reorganized several times, but finally closed for good at the onset of World War II.